Well, yesterday’s post ‘Nothing Really Matters‘ unexpectedly went viral. Tons of feedback from my internet famila, and close people to me. Some were worried for me, and understandably so, and others expressed that finally something to relate with.
It is so easy to talk about positive and uplifting things, but the reality is that we all have our moments of weakness. We all have our moments where we start to feel like we are losing hope. We all have our moments where our mind goes wild with endless negative thoughts. The biggest error that we can all do is bottle all that up, and ignore it just to seem alright and fine. Vulnerability and transparency is not weakness. We are human. We feel. We struggle. We suffer. We cry. Many asked me what was the purpose of your post? To show the danger of keeping to yourself, and not being vulnerable enough to let negative thoughts go.
“Does it really matter to fall in love again with someone after experiencing that?” I asked in myself in my previous post. The simple answer is — YES. The sea is vast, and full of fishes. In the famous words of Dory, “just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming.” Then why the long sad description of the breakup? I kept that detail to myself, and it bothered me in doing so, because while I’m 95% over that experience, and that I don’t regret, the remaining 5% was my lack of openness about it that kept the negative thoughts I expressed to roam freely in my mind. It is extremely important that I highlight that during the breakup process neither of us hated, emotionally bashed each other, and spoke wrongly of each other to those around us. We rather cheered each other in our individual walk towards our God-given purpose, and still do to this day. Separation does not mean to hate.
“Do friendships really matter when they aren’t genuine friendships to begin with?” Friendships do matter, but careful to be quick to call someone a friend. We easily call people we just met friends. I remember my freshman year of college; everyone I met day one I called friend. I later learned the hard way that I should’ve never called them a friend. We all want friends. We all want someone to hang out with at times. It is our longing for community that drives that desire for friendship. However, while friendship does matter, the reality is that you will only be able to count the amount of true friends in your life with one hand, and I’m unfortunate enough to do exactly that.
“Does having a conversation with someone really matter?” YES, but just have a conversation that actually matters. That’s wholesome. Encouraging. World changing.
“Does putting yourself out there and being open to meeting someone of the opposite sex really matter anymore?” YES, but know your worth, don’t low ball yourself. If she or he wasn’t interested, then move along. You and I were bought with a big price by the guy upstairs, so she or he needs to be able to afford you.
“Does my college degree really matter? I’m about to graduate, but will there be a job waiting for me?” Ah, every college student’s worry. I hope I get the job that I want with what I wanted to study, but if not, at least I can tell others and myself that I studied something I actually wanted to study. And you know what… our economy is terrible, but I’m not going to allow any circumstance define my outcome, so neither should you. Working hard does matter.
I confessed that I was depressed, because it is saddening and depressing to see civil discourse, racism, the anger and hated in our society, religious manipulation, etc. Keeping to yourself and drowning yourself with negative thoughts leads to depression, and I’ve been doing exactly that about everything I described in yesterday’s post. “Does it matter to live until natural death?” Without a doubt. God has and will never give up on you, so you should never give up on yourself and to those who love you without measure.
My purpose with yesterday’s post was my attempt of letting go of a lot that I have kept in my mind for some time, so I could focus on thinking about the positive stuff that matter, read Philippians 4:7-8. Also, to show the danger of not being vulnerable and open about what’s bothering you, worrying, and hurting you.
Vulnerability is important. Be open and transparent, because it leads to freedom and healing. To lose control is not to go out of control, rather letting go, and letting God. Don’t keep to yourself, because it will lead you to feel as if nothing really matters, when actually everything does matter.
Please take the time to watch the video below: